Wednesday, January 23

Whole Wheat Biscuits

My husband and I have a group of friends that we get together with on Sunday nights for dinner, crafting, and video gaming (my husband does the gaming part). Dinner is always potluck, and last Sunday I offered to bring some sort of bread. Unfortunately I ran out of yeast earlier in the week, and since I loathe going to the grocery store (I make one big trip every other week to minimize my time there), I decided to make something that did not require yeast. Beef for dinner? Bring on the biscuits!


I've been using this recipe for whole wheat biscuits for some time now. They're great with sausage gravy, or any kind of gravy really. Hubby likes to dress them up with a pat of butter and a bit of jam, and I have to say, they are quite devine that way.

The secret to this recipe is that there is already butter in the dough, which gives them a rich taste. And although I haven't tried it yet, I'll bet they'd be good spruced up with cheddar and jalapeƱo the way Cake Mama did with her Baking Powder Biscuits. Note that this recipe is for drop biscuits though. I'm too lazy for rolling and cutting.

Whole Wheat Biscuits
2 cups white whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in the milk and mix well.
3. Drop about 1/3 cup of dough for each biscuit onto a cookie sheet, spacing the biscuits about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
Yield: 10 biscuits Calories per serving: 175 per biscuit

No comments:

Post a Comment