Friday, December 28

Baking Powder Biscuits

I love biscuits: a warm and friendly little food that can accompany just about anything. I remember my mom making fresh baking powder biscuits whenever she served something hearty and heavy such as stew or chili. She’d even make them for a quick breakfast, just add butter and jam. I love making them when I do a big breakfast for my family on Sunday mornings. I usually split a fresh baked biscuit in half, top it with a fried egg, and then drown it in homemade sausage gravy! I also like to make a jalapeno and cheese version of these when we have my boyfriend’s famous Texas Chili. They are such a versatile little food!



…so why don’t more people make them from scratch? A good friend of ours makes a mean Louisiana Gumbo, and the first time he invited us over for Gumbo I asked him if he’d like me to bring over some fresh biscuits to have with it. At first he declined my offer. He said that I shouldn’t go to all that trouble and that he usually just popped a can of the refrigerated ones in which was just fine. I convinced him that it would be no trouble at all and to let me bring a batch of my jalapeno cheddar biscuits. Not only was I asked to give him the recipe, but he also insisted I teach him how to make them! ;)

This is just one example, but I know so many people who would rather purchase a can of Pillsbury! To me these fresh biscuits taste far better and can be whipped together and on a baking sheet ready to go in less then 10 minutes! I'm sorry, but to me just about every other pre-made and canned dough tastes the same. I don’t care if you bought it in the shape of biscuits, pizza dough, or French bread it all tastes the same out of a can.



So, if you are one of those folks that only ever “makes” canned biscuits you are missing out! I dare you to try the homemade version just once and taste the difference.


Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
(Cut into small pieces)
3/4 of a cup cold buttermilk

 Equipment:
Large mixing bowl
Pastry Blender (if you have one)
Baking sheet
Parchment paper
Rolling pin

Directions
Heat oven to 450 degrees and cut parchment paper to fit baking sheet.


Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in your mixing bowl. Then cut the butter into the mix by using a pastry blender or large dinner fork. (The fork will still get the job done, its just take a little more elbow grease and time. If you find yourself making biscuits often the pastry blender is well worth the investment as it will seriously cut your time and effort). Continue to cut the butter into the flour mixture until there are no large pieces left and it resembles a course meal.

Next stir in the buttermilk until it is just combined. *Note: Do not over mix when adding the buttermilk or your biscuits will come out tough. Once the buttermilk is combined you should have a slightly gooey soft dough.

You'll then plop your dough out onto a well floured counter top and sprinkle some flour on top. Roll or pat the dough down into about a 10 X 10 inch square roughly 3/4 of an inch thick.You can now use a small juice glass or round cookie cutter to start cutting out your biscuits. Continue to re-group and flatten out the dough until you've cut your desired amount of biscuits or used up all the dough.

Place the biscuits onto your lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. For some added richness you can brush the hot out of the oven biscuits with a little melted butter!    

Variations:

Drop Biscuits: Too lazy or in too much of a hurry to roll these out and cut them? Wishing you could just throw them onto a baking sheet and be done with it? Well, wish granted! With a few small adjustments you can also make these into a quick drop biscuit recipe. Simply increase the buttermilk to 1 cup and do equal parts butter and shortening.

Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits: Looking for a biscuit with a kick? I've got that covered too! Omit the sugar and instead add a tablespoon of mild chili powder. Next when adding the buttermilk also add 1/2 a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1 small diced jalapeno (Seeds removed).   

 
Yield: 12-15 Biscuits Calories per serving: 180 per biscuit

Do yourself a favor and give these a shot! I promise the canned biscuit dough will still be there should you decide you don't like these...but I doubt you'll be going back to it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment