I made my own dough for this recipe. It is a yeast dough, but like my Overnight Cinnamon Rolls, it can be made the night before so that you can just pop them in the oven the next morning. I also left the skins on the apples because that's where the nutrients are! But if the skin bothers you, obviously you can peel the apples.
To assemble the croissants, begin by rolling the dough into a rectangle of about 1/4-inch thickness.
Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into 8 long triangles. Brush the surface of each triangle with melted butter.
Place the apple filling on the fat end of each triangle.
Roll the triangles up, starting at the fat end, and place on a baking sheet. Be sure to pinch the triangles closed so no filling escapes!
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 tbsp granulated yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour, sifted
2 large red delicious apples
3 tbsp raw sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix the water, yeast, and salt with a whisk in a large bowl. Sift the flour, then add to yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size (about 2-5 hours, depending on the temperature of the room). Punch down dough, then allow to rise until double in size again.
2. For filling, dice apples into small chunks. In a small bowl, mix apples, spice and sugar.
3. Roll out dough and cut into 8 long triangles. Brush the surface with melted butter. Spoon a heaping spoonful of the apple mixture onto the wide end of the triangles. Roll dough into a roll starting with the widest edge of the dough and space evenly on a baking sheet. Refrigerate overnight, if desired.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Allow croissants to come to room temperature on the counter (if they were not previously refrigerated, then allow to rest for 30 minutes after assembling before baking). Bake 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
5. In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Drizzle over warm croissants.
|Yield: 8 croissants||Calories per serving: 270 per croissant|