Friday, July 19

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

If you're stuck in this heat wave with the rest of us here on the Eastern United States, I'm sure you don't feel like baking right now. Well I'm going to share my blueberry muffin recipe with you today anyway. It makes 2 dozen muffins, so at least you won't have to think about breakfast and snacks for the rest of the week, depending on how big and hungry your family is.

This recipe is made (like pretty much all my baking recipes) with white whole wheat flour. Now I've heard a lot of people say that the trick to making blueberry muffins is to toss the blueberries in flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin while they bake. I didn't do this. I don't know if it's because the whole wheat flour is more dense than white flour, or if it was because the blueberries were frozen when I mixed them in (I had bought them fresh right before we left for a mini vacation), but the blueberries didn't sink during baking. In fact, they seemed to remain rather plump in the final product, and I wonder if the fact that they were frozen had anything to do with it.

Blueberry Muffins

I don't know how common cinnamon is in muffin recipes, but I highly recommend it. I'm actually not a fan of blueberries (my daughter is a blueberry fanatic), but the cinnamon gave this recipe the extra complexity needed to keep these from being just another boring muffin recipe. It seems like a lot of cinnamon, but you actually don't notice it that much. Not even my husband, who prides himself on being able to pick out ingredients with his uber-sensitive taste buds.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
2 2/3 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups raw sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 lb blueberries
24 cupcake liners
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
Place paper liners in 24 muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Pour milk, eggs, and melted butter into well and stir until well blended. Fold in blueberries.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Yield: 24 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment