These brownies are simple, but fruity and delicious. I'll be bringing them to our friend's 4th of July celebration tomorrow.
|Red, White, & Blueberry Brownies|
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup sunflower oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups raw sugar
1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
|Cream Cheese Batter
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup raw sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan or 2 11x7-inch brownie pans.
2. Whisk cocoa and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Whisk in melted butter and oil. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated.
3. Sift together flour and salt. Add to liquid mixture and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
4. To prepare cream cheese mixture, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until smooth. Distribute the cream cheese mixture in dollops over batter in the pan, alternating with dollops of strawberry jam. Swirl in with a knife or spatula. Top with blueberries.
5. Bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool completely Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
|Yield: 24 brownies|
Happy Independence Day, everyone!