Tuesday, April 9

Perfectly Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Pumpkin Muffins, Pumpkin Butter, Pumpkin Trifle, etc. If it has pumpkin in it the odds are I have had it or I'm more then willing to try it! One of my all time favorite pumpkin treats is pumpkin bread. This simple quick bread can be made with your basic stock of baking pantry items (See our post on how to stock your bakers pantry!) and a spare can of cooked pureed pumpkin!




As spring is in the air, and canned pumpkin is most readily available in the winter/fall time I have already hit up the store to squirrel a few precious cans of pumpkin away for a rainy day.




I was recently inspired to crack a can of pumpkin open this past week during a trip to my local farmer's market. One of the stalls there sells homemade breads. Being the pumpkin fanatic that I am I purchased a small loaf of their pumpkin bread to nibble on as I walked around. As I munched I was amazed at how rich the flavor was, and went back of course to ask what was in it! To my surprise the only real difference in ingredients was that she uses dark brown sugar instead of light. Well pumpkin people, I am here to tell you it makes all the difference in the world1 I strapped on my apron today and made my usual bread substituting the dark brown sugar for my usual light brown, and was awed and amazed. I think you will be too.


Perfectly Pumpkin Bread
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
1/2 a cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter @ room temp
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup of canned pumpkin puree
*note make sure its plain pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix*

*if you like your bread REALLY moist
 add a heaping tablespoon of sour cream at the end*
Equipment:
Non-stick baking spray
Mixing bowls
Hand or stand mixer
9X5 loaf pan
Cooling rack 



Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle. Grease the loaf pan.



In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.

In a small bowl combine the milk and vanilla. Set aside.

With your mixer on medium cream the butter and then gradually add the sugars until fluffy. Next beat in one egg at a time letting each one incorporate. Now add your canned pumpkin and whip until everything is combined. You may need to scrape the bowl down once or twice.

Turning your mixer to low speed add the flour in 3 parts alternating with the milk/vanilla and scraping down the sides of the bowl with each addition. (Try not to over beat it as this will make your bread tough.) *stir in optional sour cream now* Pour batter into your loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour. A toothpick should come out clean after being inserted in the center. Flip out onto a cooling rack and enjoy!

*note: consumption of warm out of the oven pumpkin bread can become addictive!  

Yield: 9 servings Calories per serving: 300

1 comment: