Friday, April 12

Baked Oatmeal

This is going to sound crazy, but we're considering giving up our microwave. No, we're not a couple of New Age hippies (at least, I don't think we are)--we're just concerned that the microwave may be destroying some of the nutrients in our food. As a frugal health-conscious mom, I find that extremely annoying because I paid for those nutrients and I want to eat them!

Anyway, while looking at alternative ways for preparing foods that we would traditionally make in the microwave, I discovered a few recipes for baked oatmeal. Yummy! We eat a lot of oatmeal in this family, so naturally I had to try it.


I can't tell you how good this is. It's like a warm, soft oatmeal cookie--and it's for breakfast! My picky toddler approves, so I will definitely be adding this recipe to our breakfast arsenal.

Baked Oatmeal
3 cups quick oats
1 cup raw or brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon.
3. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into oat mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set.
Yield: 9 servings Calories per serving: 400

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I need to try this! I just started liking oatmeal this year, but I've been making it on my stove top.

    ReplyDelete