The secret ingredient in this recipe is lemon, for what goes better with seafood then a hint of lemon? It mingles alluringly with the dark chocolate, and a sprinkling of sea salt completes the spell. Be not afraid--they are quite tasty.
|Death by Cthulhu Brownies|
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup sunflower oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups raw sugar
1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
8 -oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp sea salt, coarsely ground
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving about a one-inch overhang on all sides. Grease with oil.
2. Whisk cocoa and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Whisk in melted butter and oil. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour and salt. Add to liquid mixture and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
4. To prepare lemon filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg, lemon juice, and flour in a medium bowl until smooth. Distribute the lemon filling in dollops over batter in the pan. Swirl in with a knife or spatula. Sprinkle sea salt on top.
5. Bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Return brownies to wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
|Yield: 24 brownies|
Want more Cthulhu? Check out Crochet Kitten's book club!
Post a Comment