Tuesday, February 5

Nutella Brownies

I've recently discovered the wonder that is Nutella. How I could have gone my entire childhood without experiencing this delicious condiment, I don't know, but it has become a favorite treat in our house this year. It combines two of my favorite flavors: chocolate and hazelnut.

To celebrate my newfound guilty pleasure, I thought it would be fun to take part in World Nutella Day. Yes, there is such a thing, and it happens to be February 5th!

For this year's chosen recipe, I decided to make Nutella brownies. For the record, I'd like to say that I came up with this idea on my own, but when I started Googling about how to use Nutella in baked goods, I found one recipe that already seemed to be all the rage--and it's made exactly how I was thinking of making it! Ah well. As my husband says, all the ideas are already out there in the ether, and it's just a matter of who is going to get it first.


Anyhoo, the recipe in question uses just three ingredients: Nutella, flour, and eggs. Think about it: the ingredients in Nutella are sugar, oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, milk, and vanilla flavor. Sounds like the start of a brownie recipe to me! All that's left to be added are flour and eggs.

I made some tweaks to the original recipe because I really like even numbers, and the original recipe doesn't make nearly enough brownies for me. But other than that, the recipe is pretty much perfect and super easy.

Nutella Brownies
1 (26.5) oz jar Nutella
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour

Directions
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.

2. Mix Nutella and eggs together until smooth and homogeneous. Add flour, and mix with hands until thoroughly blended. It will be more like a dough than a batter.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
Yield: 24 brownies Calories per serving: 195 per brownie

Happy Nutella Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment